Other Financial Resources


The Office of Graduate Studies and various departments of the university offer a limited number of graduate, teaching and research assistantships each year to qualified degree-seeking students.

Assistantships provide academic and professional enrichment to graduate students. They also offer stipends to compensate for the hours worked and tuition waivers for graduate units required for the degree. The amount of the stipend and tuition waiver varies depending on the type and nature of the assistantship. There are 10- and 20-hour positions available in academic and several administrative departments. These positions are highly competitive.

Applicants are encouraged to view Handshake on the Career Center web page and to contact their departments for graduate assistantship openings. Applicants also are encouraged to submit their résumés to their departments and the Graduate Assistantship Office (GAO) by early spring for fall semester positions and by early fall for spring semester positions so that departments may have time to review the information. Interested applicants may contact the Graduate Assistantship Office for more information by email or at 410-704-4484.


The Office of Graduate Studies is committed to supporting students enrolled in doctoral and other terminal degree programs at Towson University. The purpose of the Towson University Graduate Student Fellowship program is to advance the goals of increased excellence and diversity of graduate students. Awards are made to students on the basis of academic merit and/or depth of professional experience. For more information, contact the Office of Graduate Studies by email or at 410-704-GRAD (4723).

Alumini Association Graduate Fellowship Awards

The Alumni Association awards several scholarships each year to TU students who are full- or part-time graduate or post-graduate students and are active leaders in their communities. The Alumni Association recognizes and rewards students who demonstrate the highest levels of intellectual achievement and the potential to be active supporters of TU and the larger community. Each award shall consist of a certificate and a $1,000 to $2,000 scholarship that will be deposited directly into the student’s TU account for tuition, books and/or living expenses. Applications may be obtained from the Towson University Office of Alumni Relations, 1-800-887-8152 or email, and must be postmarked no later than June 15.

Student Employment

Handshake is a graduate student’s main resource for locating jobs and internships. The on- and off-campus opportunities posted in Handshake are full- and part-time. The Career Center also manages several job fairs throughout the year and offers students individual job search assistance. For more information on Handshake or the Career Center, feel free to send an email, call 410-704-2233, stop by the Career Center at 7800 York Road, Suite 206, or visit their web page.