Administrator I Certification
Towson University offers course work that meets the Maryland Department of Education (MSDE) licensure requirements for Administrator I certification. This certification, in addition to a master's degree, is a requirement for supervisors, assistant principals and principals. The Administrator I certification is not a degree conferred by Towson University. However, completion of the required courses for the certification will result in a stamp statement printed on the student’s transcript. Students must apply to MSDE for certification.
Please note: In order to receive the Administrator I stamp, you must be enrolled in a degree program.
There are three ways to get the Administrator I Certification:
- Complete the master's degree in Human Resource Development - Educational Leadership Track to receive the Administrator I certification stamp statement on your transcript.
- Complete the 30-unit Organizational Change Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) to receive the Administrator I certification stamp statement on your transcript.
- Enroll in the Organizational Change Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) and complete only the following 6 required courses to receive the Administrator I certification stamp statement on your transcript.
|Requirements for Certification 1, 2|
|ILPD 603||SCHOOL LAW||3|
|ILPD 667||CURRICULUM & ASSESSMENT FOR INSTRUCTIONAL DEVELOPMENT||3|
|ILPD 716||LEADERSHIP OF THE SCHOOLS||3|
|ILPD 740||DATA-BASED DECISION MAKING FOR CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION||3|
|ILPD 781||SEMINAR IN SUPERVISION||3|
|ILPD 797||INTERNSHIP IN INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP||3|
Courses that are approved for Administrator I Certification.
All incoming students must have a college transcript documenting successful completion of a special education course (undergraduate or graduate).
Online Options and Timeframes
All courses for Administrator I certification are available online and may be completed in the following timeframes by students. Internship assignments that are part of the courses must be completed at an approved site in Maryland.
- The 18 units of required courses for Administrator I certification can be completed within a year.
- The 36-unit master’s degree in Human Resource Development/Educational Leadership (with Administrator I certification) can be completed in 22 months. All courses are 7 weeks long.
Online courses for the Administrator I certification program are available only to residents of Maryland. .
Off-Campus Cohort Programs
The Administrator I Certification is also available at off-campus locations through school system partnerships offered by the Towson Learning Network.
Courses are taught by experienced faculty, many of whom have strong research agendas in education, professional development, assessment and leadership. Many still work in the field, sharing their leadership experiences with students. Our faculty members are superb advisers and mentors who help each student develop an individualized professional career plan.