Health Information Technology Certificate
Program Director: Cheryl Brown
Information technology drives changes in the delivery of healthcare information that can improve patient care. Organizations need highly qualified and educated professionals to lead and direct health informatics initiatives.
The health information technology post-baccalaureate certificate (PBC) is designed to offer students an interdisciplinary curriculum that provides knowledge and skills in both health care and information technology. This program offers students specialized instruction to foster intellectual inquiry, critical thinking, creativity and adaptability to craft solutions that will address public and societal needs.
The program is intended for students who have a bachelor’s degree in a computing-related field and who wish to master information technology skills widely needed in the health care industry. The program may also interest students who:
- Are working professionals in health care or public health and want to broaden their career choices.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in a discipline other than IT and want to prepare for careers in this field.
Admission requirements for the post-baccalaureate certificate program are the same as those listed for the M.S. in Applied Information Technology.
Non-immigrant International Students
Program Enrollment: F-1 and J-1 students are required to be enrolled full-time. The majority of their classes must be in-person and on campus. See the list of programs that satisfy these requirements, and contact the International Student and Scholars Office with questions.
Admission Procedures: See additional information regarding Graduate Admission policies and International Graduate Application online.
**See Exceptions to Policy in Graduate Admissions.
|AIT 600||INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY INFRASTRUCTURE||3|
|AIT 610||SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT PROCESS||3|
|AIT 644||HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY||3|
|or AIT 645||HEALTHCARE DATA ANALYTICS|
|HCMN 535||HEALTH INFORMATION AND QUALITY MANAGEMENT 1||3|
|or HLTH 633||HEALTH CARE SYSTEMS|
|AIT 740||CASE STUDIES ON HEALTHCARE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES||3|
The program recommendation is to take HLTH 633.
- Articulate the current state and evaluate the current limits in the knowledge, theory and application of health information technology.
- Work effectively in teams to assess, prioritize and professionally communicate issues related to health care information technology.
- Compare and contrast various health information technology and assess their application to context specific problems.
- Synthesize knowledge from multiple sources to design proposals and present best practice health care information system solutions to address current government and industry needs.