Additional Information

Financial Aid Disbursements

Generally, students receive one-half of academic year financial aid funds for each fall and spring term (except Federal Work-Study funds). The university credits aid toward term charges for tuition and fees and other direct university charges.

If students’ total disbursed term aid exceeds their term charges, they will receive a rebate check to use for books and day-to-day expenses.

The Office of the Bursar will disburse financial aid rebate checks no earlier than one week before the first day of the fall and spring terms and no earlier than the first day of each student’s summer session. Students may have a delay in receiving rebate checks if they completed their aid application late or had revised aid offers.

Private Scholarship Payments

Students who receive scholarships from private organizations outside the university (not including Maryland state scholarships) should contact the Office of the Bursar to arrange for payment of scholarship funds. The Office of the Bursar will disburse scholarship proceeds in accordance with procedures and policies set by the private scholarship donors and Towson University. Students may defer partial payment of university charges before receipt of scholarship proceeds by forwarding a copy of the scholarship award letter to the Office of the Bursar. Any outstanding balance created when a student or donor fails to provide the university with adequate, timely information will become a financial obligation of the student.

Winter Minimester

For some financial aid programs, such as Pell Grants, Federal Direct Loans, and many state aid programs, the minimum enrollment level calculations for students' spring disbursement can be adjusted based on students' Minimester units. 

Example: Pell Grant disbursements are based on students’ enrollment levels. A student with 3 minimester units and 6 spring units, would receive a spring Pell Grant disbursement based on 9 units (3/4 time). Many other aid programs cannot be adjusted based on Minimester units. For more information, see

Summer sessions

To request aid for the summer sessions, students must submit the TU Summer Aid Application, which is available online at

Summer aid is usually limited to loans and Federal Pell Grants and is only available if students did not already borrow or receive the maximum annual award amounts during the previous academic year.

Financial Aid Advising

Students and parents can schedule appointments to speak with Towson University financial aid advisors in person or by telephone. To schedule an appointment, call 410-704-4236.

Refund Policy

When a student withdraws from all courses during a term when the student is receiving student aid, the Financial Aid Office must determine what portion of the student’s aid (not including Federal Work-Study) will revert to the aid programs. The Financial Aid Office must use a statutory refund formula required by the U.S. Department of Education to determine what portion of aid paid to university charges has been “earned” and what portion must be considered “unearned.”

The percentage of assistance earned is equal to the percentage of the term completed as of the day the student withdraws. (If the withdrawal occurs after the 60 percent point, the percentage of aid earned is 100 percent.) The amount of aid not earned by the student is calculated by determining the complement of the percentage of assistance the student earned. That percentage is then applied to the total amount of grant and loan assistance disbursed for the term.

If the student received more grant or loan assistance than the amount earned, the university or the student (or both) must return the unearned funds to the aid programs.

Towson University returns the lesser of the unearned amount of assistance, or the institutional charges incurred for the term, multiplied by the unearned percentage of grant and loan assistance. Institutional charges are limited to tuition, fees, and room and board, (if the student paid these charges to the university).

The student returns unearned assistance minus the amount the university returns. The U.S. Department of Education does not allow discretion on the part of the university for non-institutional costs. In most cases, when a student receives assistance greater than the amount of institutional charges and completely withdraws from the university, the student will have to return some of those funds.

Other Resources

Regular Student Employment

Various departments on campus hire students. Students will find a list of current job openings at

Student Employment Program

This office helps students find part-time jobs off-campus in the Baltimore metropolitan area. For additional information, visit

Veterans Benefits

The Veterans Affairs Office is part of Towson University’s Office of the Registrar and functions primarily to certify veterans’ enrollment to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans or eligible dependents should contact the Towson University’s Veterans Affairs Office (410-704-3094).