LGBTQ Studies Minor
The LGBTQ Studies minor addresses issues of sexual orientation and gender identity from interdisciplinary and multicultural perspectives. The growing public awareness of diverse sexualities and gender identities and their cultural and political ramifications for individuals, social institutions and communities is evident. LGBTQ Studies represents a growing field of scholarship which is in the forefront of developing theoretical and methodological innovations. The minor aims to give students the critical skills to analyze a wide range of issues, including the historical evolution of sexual and gender identities in different cultural settings, the development of LGBTQ+ cultural institutions, institutionalized forms of heterosexism, cisgenderism and homophobia, and the efforts to eliminate discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- To familiarize students with major concepts, theories, substantive findings and in scholarly works and nonfiction in the field of LGBTQ+ studies.
- To make students aware of the diverse attitudes toward and the experiences of LGBTQ+ individuals in different cultures and historical periods.
- To examine institutionalized homophobia and its impact on the political, social and economic status of LGBTQ+ individuals.
- To investigate the social construction of sexualities, gender identities and the cultural images associated with them.
- To examine differences within LGBTQ+ communities and the social and political ramifications of such differences for those communities.
- To understand the wide range of political strategies used by LGBTQ+ individuals in their struggles against oppression.
- To trace the historical evolution of sexual and gender identities and the roles of LGBTQ+ individuals in reshaping them.
The LGBTQ Studies minor requires 18 units. All minors must complete a minimum of 12 units toward the minor at Towson University, with at least 9 units at the upper (300-400) level.
|LGBT 101||INTRODUCTION TO LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, AND TRANSGENDER STUDIES||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|SPECIAL TOPICS IN LGBT STUDIES|
|INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATIONS IN LGBT STUDIES|
|Select four of the following:||12|
|IDENTITY AND CULTURE 1|
|QUEER ISSUES IN CRIME AND JUSTICE|
|TEACHING AND LEARNING IN A DIVERSE SOCIETY|
|THEMES IN LITERATURE 1|
|LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, AND TRANSGENDER FAMILIES|
|UNITED STATES LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, TRANSGENDER, AND QUEER HISTORIES|
|INTERNSHIP IN INTERDISCIPLINARY STUDIES|
|READINGS IN LGBT STUDIES|
|INTERNSHIP IN LGBT STUDIES|
|PSYCHOLOGY OF GENDER|
|GENDER IDENTITY IN TRANSITION|
|RACE, GENDER, SEXUALITY, AND JUDAISM|
|WOMEN AND SEXUALITY|
|TOPICS IN WOMEN'S STUDIES 1|
Please contact the Department of Women's and Gender Studies for acceptable topics.