Credit for Prior Learning

Towson University recognizes that some students may have acquired abilities through life experience, personal study, and/or military course work. The Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) Program offers an opportunity for students to receive college credit by taking challenge tests in the area of their proficiency, presenting portfolios, or providing documentation of military course work/experiences.

A maximum of 45 units for non-traditional learning may be granted through the Credit for Prior Learning Program (this includes any CLEP, AP, or IB credit granted in transfer). CPL units can be used to fulfill Core Curriculum, electives, and/or major requirements. CPL units are eligible to be recorded on the TU transcript if the candidate is an undergraduate student seeking their first degree (this is not an option for second bachelor students) and has at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA. Please note that some academic departments may accept a lower maximum number of CPL units toward the major. Please check with the major department first to find out if such restrictions exist.

Students interested in the Credit for Prior Leaning Program should call the Registrar's office at 410-704-2471.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP Tests)

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) allows students to earn qualifying scores on nationally-recognized subject examinations. Students may earn credit for certain CLEP tests provided they meet the minimum score required by TU. The CLEP tests that TU accepts and the required score are listed on the link below:

For more information on CLEP or to locate a CLEP Test Center, visit the College Board website. Send scores to Towson University, 5404.

Departmental Exams

TU offers departmental challenge exams in Foreign Languages. The languages include French, German, Italian, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Japanese, and American Sign Language.

Individualized Assessments

Students who wish to earn credit for courses that do not have standard departmental or CLEP exams may contact the academic department to determine if individualized assessment is possible. This type of assessment may include portfolio review, oral or written examination, demonstration (e.g., dance or music), or written report/paper.

Military Course Work/Experience

TU is a member of Service Members Opportunity Colleges (SOC). Students who have served or are currently serving in the United States military may receive college credit for basic training, military occupational specialties and other military course work. Official documentation must be submitted. Work will be evaluated per the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services by the American Council on Education (ACE). 

Military courses and experiences are evaluated by Admissions. To request an evaluation, contact