Transferring Courses as a Current Student

The following regulations pertain to current Towson University students wishing to transfer course work from other institutions to TU. Only currently enrolled degree candidates in good academic standing are eligible to transfer course work. For information regarding course work taken prior to your admission to TU, please refer to the Undergraduate Admission section on Transfer Policy.

Regulations Pertaining to Transfer Credit After Matriculation

  1. TU students who wish to take courses at other regionally accredited institutions with the intent of applying those units toward a degree at TU must complete a Transfer Petition Form. The petition may require the signature of the chair of the department in which the equivalent course is offered at TU. Petitions must be completed and approved by the Registrar’s Office before registering for the course(s) at another institution.
  2. Credit is accepted by TU for courses completed at regionally accredited colleges or universities. Grades and GPAs earned at other institutions are not transferable. Credit will count toward graduation but will not be used in calculating the academic average required for graduation. Course work completed at institutions of higher education that are not regionally accredited, or international institutions, may be considered for transfer credit on a case-by-case basis if there is an equivalent TU course.
  3. Courses transfer to TU as they were taken at the host institution. For example, if a student completes a 200-level course at the host institution and transfers it to TU, the course will transfer as 200-level, even if the course’s equivalent at TU is 300- or 400-level.
  4. Courses transferred from two-year institutions cannot be used to satisfy the Advanced Composition requirement. Writing courses taken at four-year regionally accredited institutions may be considered as meeting this requirement upon request by students for evaluation by the appropriate academic department or, where necessary, by TU’s Department of English. A grade of "C" or higher is required.
  5. Transfer students. Courses that have been accepted previously for transfer credit by TU or have been attempted or completed for credit at TU may not be repeated at other institutions with the purpose of transferring them to TU. Courses in which a grade equivalent of 1.00 or higher has been earned are transferable. However, courses in which a grade equivalent of 1.00 was earned and transferred to TU cannot be applied toward a major or minor program. A grade equivalent of 2.00 or higher is required for major/minor credit, as well as for certain Core requirements.
  6. Native students. Courses attempted at TU may NOT be repeated at other institutions for the purpose of receiving credit at TU or adjusting the TU record. (See Repeating Courses.)
  7. With prior permission, students may take courses for transfer to TU until they have attained 90 units. However, no more than 64 units may be transferred from a regionally accredited two-year institution.
  8. Students are expected to complete the final 30 units toward their degrees at TU. Exceptions may be granted in cases of documented extraordinary circumstances. Students must petition the Academic Standards Committee to transfer work after having earned 90 units. Petitions must be presented before students register for courses at other institutions. 
  9. Students are permitted to apply credit from international study abroad and domestic study away toward the final 30 units of their undergraduate degree.